The Dangers of a Wet Basement

A mouse pest attracted by a wet basement.

Even if your home has been spared from major flooding or water damage, moisture can still get through. The safest basement is a dry basement. Here are some of the risks of a wet basement.

Structural Water Damage

Prolonged exposure to moisture weakens the wooden structures of your house, and invites the below problems.

Pest Invaders

Wet basements attract rodents and insects. These guys typically like to make a meal or home out of your structure and insulation.

Increased allergies, sickness, messes, weakened structural integrity, and risk of disease are among the dangers involved.

Basement Mold & Mildew

Constant moisture on almost all indoor materials leads to growth of microbes, such as mold, fungi and bacteria. These microbes emit spores, cells, and volatile organic compounds into the air. Excessive dampness also initiates chemical and biological deterioration of load-bearing materials, which can pollute the surrounding air.

Dampness is suggested to be a strong, consistent indicator of risk of asthma and respiratory symptoms (e.g. cough and wheeze). The health risks of biological contaminants of indoor air could thus be addressed by considering dampness as the risk indicator. To prevent the risk of air irritants, we recommend basement waterproofing.

Dust Mites

Dust mites are microscopic bugs that live mostly on dead skin cells that are shed from humans and their pets. Dust mites are harmless to many, but can cause moderate-to-severe allergies when inhaled. Those with asthma, frequent bronchitis, or lung disease are often sensitive to dust mites.